Travel WI Snow Conditions.

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=Jim;23881]Thank you!

You know what they say: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". I wouldn't doubt there is something in the snowmobile laws, that places this responsibility directly upon the rider.[/QUOTE]
Yes I'd be interested in reading the "law" and see what responsibility the County Alliances have in reporting trails open and close.....wasn't just a few years back, we were told that openings and I think closings as well had to posted under legal notices in the local newspaper.

Apparently that was changed, eh?
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

Are you saying it wasn't posted in the paper?
CRZ

Post by CRZ »

travel wisconsin is showing forest county closed
CHOPPER 3

Post by CHOPPER 3 »

Sorry I couldn't chime in on this subject , but if you play it backwards it sounds like the Fat Lady singing .
I Doo

Post by I Doo »

We always post a notice (on the county web site and our phone number for trails open or closed) that trails will be closing at say 5:00am Thursday March 15th 2018 the day before for an example. So we always give warning to riders so their not on the trail or have to use it when it closes. That's the most we can do!!
snoway

Post by snoway »

[QUOTE=I Doo;23889]We always post a notice (on the county web site and our phone number for trails open or closed) that trails will be closing at say 5:00am Thursday March 15th 2018 the day before for an example. So we always give warning to riders so their not on the trail or have to use it when it closes. [B]That's the most we can do[/B]!![/QUOTE]

Not really.
Your county alliance also posts conditions on the Travel WI tourism site which is the one stop website for all of the counties in Wisconsin.
What could possibly be better than a single site to see if a certain counties trails are open or closed ....>statewide< ?:thumbup::thumbup:
76masseyman

Post by 76masseyman »

Man this guy has an answer for everything.... If only we had a few more like him in the world, all of our problems would be solved....:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=snoway;23884]Why should it be a secret you have to "dig" for?....If you want to be large and in charge then act like it and get the info out there. Making the decisions to open and close as well as reporting any temp. closures or hazards is one of the main reasons behind the clubs report to the County Alliances.

Boggles my mind to think we need to jump around searching for info in this day and age when that info can be found on a single website like Travel WI.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=snoway;23884]Travel WI is a great single rescource for sledders looking for conditions and destinations in every county of this great state.... can't imagine why any rational person would prefer jumping around on 10 different FB pages and or websites when they can open a single page....AND THEN go to a specific site to get the local scoop. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=snoway;23884]Not really.
Your county alliance also posts conditions on the Travel WI tourism site which is the one stop website for all of the counties in Wisconsin.
What could possibly be better than a single site to see if a certain counties trails are open or closed ....>statewide< ?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=snoway;23884]But if a DNR agent stops a rider on a closed trail???? and they get a citation, How are they supposed to know what website has the AUTHORITY in court???......not everyone checks in here or FB for that matter. I don't use FB myself.
Many riders go through 2 or more counties in a days ride.[/QUOTE]

Even the Travel Wisconsin page has a disclaimer at the top right of the map that says.

[ATTACH]5435[/ATTACH]

Would it be nice if there could be a one stop shop for trail conditions, yes....Is it still the responsibility of the rider to "dig" for that information before they hit the trail....yes! As far as how often the Travel Wisconsin site is updated, I'm sure the individuals responsible for that have other responsibilities in their life as well. I personally don't think it is too difficult to read when the report was last updated on the Travel Wisconsin site and decide whether I need to visit the clubs website to get detailed information... Especially towards the end of the season when I am wondering if the trails will even be open.
Attachments
TWSC.jpg
TWSC.jpg (14.97 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
snoway

Post by snoway »

Despite having developed into hurt feelings over what started out as a simple FYI thread, I think the TW site will get better every snow season so in the future the crazy idea of updating a single site for the whole state won't seem so scary.

And in case you all only read the parts that you needed to get upset, I also said that I don't think sites like this or FB will be replaced by TW either....blah blah blah.:lol:
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

I once worked with a boss, with whom I got along with amazingly well.
I told him, I thought we got along so well, because we thought so much alike.
He told me, he thought that was a liability, because we might be missing something. :thebomb:
ralphie

snoway

Post by ralphie »

snoway, here is a suggestion, go to the TW website and complain, stay off here. There are a lot of people in this club that volunteer countless hours in making the trails the best we can. You may think the little jabs you continually throw out are harmless but they hit home to many of us. As far as your comment about trails closing early, there is more that decides the closing date than lack of snow. Not going to waste any more time. Thanks