Trails Open at Noon on Thursday, January 10, 2019

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
Jim
Site Admin

Trails Open at Noon on Thursday, January 10, 2019

Post by Jim »

Forest County Snowmobile Trails will officially open at Noon on Thursday, January 10, 2019 for the snowmobiling season. Forest County has 405.79 miles of state funded trails maintained by five snowmobile clubs including the 100 Mile Snow Safari, Lumberjack Memorial Trails, Black Bear Sportsmen’s Club Trails, Three Lakes Trails and the Tombstone-Pickerel Trails.

Snowmobile clubs have been panning the trails and have all trails cleared and signed.

New snowmobile maps are also available for the New Year thanks to sizeable donations by the Sugarbush Snowmowheelers and the Northwoods Snow Chasers. These donations have resulted in an awesome snowmobile trail map to guide snowmobilers throughout Forest County.

Please remember that the Nicolet State Trail and the Wolf River State Trail are the ONLY snowmobile trails in Forest County that are currently open for ATV and UTV use. The Forest County Snowmobile Trail Ordinance currently prohibits ATV, UTV use and motor vehicle use on all other snowmobile trails in Forest County. Snowmobile trails are “NOT” open for motor vehicle use or hunting. THOSE DRIVING TRUCKS ON TRAILS ARE SUBJECT TO FINES THROUGH THE COUNTY SNOWMOBILE TRAIL ORDINANCE.

Updated trail condition reports can be found daily by calling the Forest County Snowline at 715-478-2024 or logging onto the Forest County website at [url]www.forestcountywi.com[/url]. This website also provides links to local snowmobile clubs which provide daily grooming reports and maps of the Forest County trail system. You may choose to log on to a specific snowmobile club for trail information including the 100 Mile Snow Safari at [url]www.100milesnowsafari.com[/url] or Lumberjack Memorial Trails at [url]www.lmtsnowmobiletrails.com[/url] or Tombstone-Pickerel Trails at [url]www.tombstonepickerel.com[/url] or Three Lakes Trails at [url]www.threelakestrails.com[/url].

The Department of Tourism also provides statewide snowmobile travel conditions at [url]www.travelwisconsin.com/snow-conditions ... snowmobile[/url].
snoway

Post by snoway »

Thanks for the great news!

So atv and utv are now allowed on the grades???? wow...didn't see that one coming. I have to assume the 2 grades will never close then? Is there a temperature restriction?

I am happy to see the hunting issue addressed but is the word getting out by some other means than a snowmobile site?
But then again what about the land owners hunting on the trails or granting permission to do so?
We encounter hunters and dogs and trucks on the Forest Co trails every year. I personally have no problem with it as long as the hunter knows his target and beyond.
I Doo

Post by I Doo »

I'm glad trails will be open. However they can't be all that great?
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

The last snowfall we had it rained for a full day after, the snow that came on Monday was followed by rain and 24 hours of above freezing temps. I'm think this should tell you there will be ice on the trails. We also had a lot of areas that were very rutted up by various types of hunters along with rocks and swamps that just wouldn't freeze. The trails will be in early season condition just like every other year on opening weekend. You will have to make the decision if it is "worth" it or not.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

Those waiting for excellent trail conditions may only have a two week window to ride. Every weekend you put riding off, is one less weekend you will ride this year. Just because the season got off to a slow start does not mean the season will extend longer into the spring. The first weekend the trails open anywhere NEVER mean excellent conditions.
CRZ

Post by CRZ »

trails should actually be better now than last year at this time
xcsp

Post by xcsp »

[QUOTE=snoway;24006]

So atv and utv are now allowed on the grades???? wow...didn't see that one coming. I have to assume the 2 grades will never close then? Is there a temperature restriction?
[/QUOTE]

I was unaware of this also, found more info here: [url]http://www.forestcountywi.com/index_fil ... er_atv.htm[/url]
No temperature restrictions.

Can only imagine how the NST will be with the wheeled vehicle traffic.
nelsoncat

Post by nelsoncat »

Any advice on trailer parking for a day ride? I usually drop at the Lily Sno Birds clubhouse and ride north but it doesn’t look like langlade is going to open. Somewhere close that is open coming from the south (Waupaca)

Post by 97911 »

nelsoncat, downtown Wabeno is probably your best bet, it has a large parking area adjacent to trail. Just look for Larry the Logger (statue), The Phoenix (steam tractor), the lot is just east of them.