Great Job, as usual

100 Mile Snow Safari General Chat
Red Baron

Great Job, as usual

Post by Red Baron »

I just wanted to drop a note stating my thanks to the 100 miler for the great job they have done this season, as usual. It's easy to expect perfect trail conditions all the time, but many have no idea the amount of work it takes to make this happen. While a whole bunch of snow sounds like a good thing, every time it snows, it's like starting over creating a base for the trail. It takes at least 3 groomer passes to get it all packed down and firm again. You don't need a lot of snow to have great trails. The deeper the snow, the bigger the bumps. All this snow creates more challenges for groomer drivers, as if you slide off the trail now, you're done! It does create a fantastic base that will last a long time into the spring, which is great news this time of year! The 100 Miler continues to have nice, wide trails. Which brings up a pet peeve of mine. The trail is at least 20 feet wide wherever it can be, 2 full groomer widths. Why do people only use 4 feet of it? It seems like most people drive right down the middle, until a corner, where they hug the inside. In no time, a berm forms in the corners and now the moguls start. Use the whole trail people! The sides are usually the smoothest! Take a corner wide, especially when you are turning left. And when you meet the groomer, and you are the first one on the trail, treat the ribbon like a newborn baby, not a 2 bit whore. I saw 3 guys single handedly ruin a fresh trail last weekend. None of which had trail passes on their sleds, but they did have body armor...
Thanks again 100 miler for the tireless efforts to make my favorite pastime very enjoyable!
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

You hit the nail on the head, Brian! :thebomb:
ralphie

Great Job

Post by ralphie »

Baron,

Thanks for the complement, you very well know what it takes to maintain a good trail. We have several great ,dedicated drivers this year that went out in the heat of the storms and stayed on top of it. This definitely helped us keep somewhat of a solid base. We are also up on grooming hours from previous years, this is a result of good drivers working very well together.

Your comment about EVERYBODY riding the shortest route possible, cutting EVERY corner and dead center on the straight stretches. I am like you and ride the far right side, unbelievable how many time I am riding on fresh groomer tracks.

Thanks Baron!!
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

[QUOTE=ralphie]unbelievable how many time I am riding on fresh groomer tracks.

Thanks Baron!![/QUOTE]that's where the good stuff is! :thebomb: