Laona/Crandon report from 2/6

Grooming Reports and Trail Conditions
Fire2732

Laona/Crandon report from 2/6

Post by Fire2732 »

Following the grooming on Saturday night, SS5 was completed along with NST2 and assisted with NST1 as in Friday also. Both sections on the NST are in good conditions. It can certainly be seen the general wear is to the center where people ride. This creates a shallow V in the trail. The base that is there with the -20 degrees certainly is solid. SS5 south of Potawatomi Rd has some rougher areas on the hills and tight curves. The road routes on SS5 are great. The spur that goes to Lake Lucerne is still being logged. The trail is used for hauling by the processor. Please be aware if riding during the day time on weekdays. Also on SS5 north of Otter Creek to intersection 32 someone plowed a section of trail. Be cautious there as well and unsure why this was done. Scott
TootinScootn

Re: Laona/Crandon report from 2/6

Post by TootinScootn »

Nice report. I hope to get up there next week, and I am praying for more snow.
"My two great treats in life are baked beans and vanilla ice cream." --Jonathan Dimbleby
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the great report! :-)
WhiteThunderRider

Post by WhiteThunderRider »

I've riden your trails for the last 3 years . The trail you call NST 2 is the only trail in Forest County that has this "V" you speak of . This is not due to rider traffic in the middle of the trail , it is caused by grooming too wide with the equipment you have early in the season and throughout the season . To maintain the trail properly and to keep it consistently flat the proper width to groom with any drag is 1.5 times the width of the whatever drag you are pulling . You MUST cover half of your your ribbon ( the center) with each pass you make . If you don't catch the middle EVERY time you the operator are causing this to occur . Continued grooming in this manner only amplifies the hazzard . This is why they make drags with an extra wing on them , if you want a properly maintained trail that's wider than the drag you pull you get a drag with a wing . No other trail on the NST experiences this issue . It starts from HWY O in Forest County and continues to JAR'S bar in Laona . You can argue with me but you'll be wrong .
30+ years of grooming trails